Remember when I decided to make the chicken yard pretty last year? Well I’m at it again. This time I went with planters that are up high and out of ‘chicken reach’ so they should be pretty safe.
I didn’t want to spend a lot for this little project since it is just a chicken yard and I am a self-proclaimed bargainista, but I still wanted it to be cute. I’d seen wall planters made of various materials and realized they were just simple pockets of fabric. I’m not a sewer so I brainstormed what might provide an inexpensive, already sewn fabric pocket. Then the light bulb went off – a fabric shoe organizer!
I snagged this one at Fred Meyer for around $10. I only needed 4 pockets but I figured it the idea panned out I could always make more for other spots too. It was an added bonus that it was a cool grey fabric rather than the typical canvas ones I’ve seen that would show dirt immediately.
Luckily each row was exactly 4 pockets! I cut off one row, leaving the seam and trim at the bottom. From there I cut down the center of the stitching on the trim between each pocket to create 4 individual pockets.
I filled each with dirt and a plant while on skype with my mom on a sunny afternoon and then recruited the Hubs to help me hang them. We folded over the top section of fabric for a bit more strength and just screwed them into the post using deck screws.
Although the screws are noticeable from the side angle, they blend in when you look at the planters from the front of the yard which is the typical way they will be seen. Plus as the plants grow they should help hide them even more. Hopefully they will have enough time to really fill in and start to trail over before the season wraps.
I also decided to give the block planters at the bottom of the posts another try. The canvas curtains I made last summer didn’t survive well so this time we used scrap clear panels left over from building the green house. It keeps the sight lines open for both the cluckers and the dogs, but prevents the chickens from decimating the plants.
The chickens were not to pleased with this innovation and kept trying to peck at the leaves through the plastic! They eventually gave up and went on about their clucking business elsewhere in the yard. This time around I filled the blocks with mint, transplanted from the rain garden where it ended up after being in the herb container 2 summers ago. Those who have grown mint, know it is super hardy so it can take some tough love, will return year after year and should spread to fill in a bit more. I will have to watch that it doesn’t spread out from the blocks but it’s easy enough to remove if I catch it early so I’m not to worried. Plus it will help keep things smelling pretty – because this is a chicken yard and there is always a constant supply of “fertilizer”!
Because we used scrap panels each is a bit different size so the panels don’t all line up with each other. It doesn’t really bother me in person but looking at this image I really notice it. If it still bugs me in a few weeks I’ll have the hubs cut the two larger ones down to match.
I put another clear panel on the front of the yard and added marigolds there for a bit of color. Now if I could just get that darn walkway covered with gravel like I’ve been planning this space might start to really look complete. Hopefully that will happen before the end of the season, but if not it will be on the list again next summer. 🙂