Hi there! It’s been a busy couple of weeks around the DBDT household. I had to travel around the state last week for my day job and have been playing catch up ever since. Luckily the weather is finally turning warmer and the snow is melting, so the Hubs and I have been working on cleaning out the greenhouse and getting it set up for it’s first season! I’ll share an update on that project soon. The other big project on my radar at the moment is the chicken coop.
The Hubs added the roof to the chicken yard in the fall, which was a great improvement over the thin netting we had originally. The new metal paneling has held up well over the winter. Because it’s open panels allow the snow to fall through we had to shovel out their yard a couple of times during the snowy season and now that things are melting it’s getting pretty soggy in there. Unfortunately there’s not much drainage in this spot so I’m planning to till up the ground and add in some gravel or sand to help with that for future seasons.
Last summer I added the cinder blocks along the edge of the yard as planters. The canvas curtains I made to keep the cluckers from demolishing the plants didn’t work as well as I hoped, so I’ve tossed them and will be getting some clear acrylic panels that can slide into the space between the blocks and the metal fence panels.
That will keep the sight lines open for both the chickens and the dogs, but they can be easily removed when I want to give the cluckers access to the greens I’ll be growing in the blocks for them. I gave up on having flowers here and late last season planted grass seed in the blocks along the side of the yard instead. I’ll plant lavender and mint along the front blocks since those are more protected by the hen house wall. Hopefully those aromas will help keep things smelling fresh on this side of the yard and provide herbs to freshen their bedding too.
I’d like to make some kind of hanging pocket planters for each of the posts down the side of the yard where I could have some trailing flowers. The cluckers won’t be able to get to the plants that high up and it would help make things a little prettier. I’m also thinking about making some kind of hanging planter for the wall at the back of the run since it’s a big open space there.
Of course the big to-do with the chicken yard is installing a gravel walkway from the deck steps to the coop and then over to the gate on the side of the house. I’ve got lawn edging that we picked up last year that should be enough to do this distance, but I’ll have to wait for the ground to dry out so we can get the wheelbarrows of gravel back here.
Another functional improvement is to level out the area in front of the run’s door and add pavers in that corner to help with the mud that develops there. Luckily I have pavers I picked up last season to get that project started as soon as the ground allows.
I also plan to do a few simple updates like adding a tire under the hen house with sand for the cluckers to use for dirt baths. That should keep them from making holes in their yard for that purpose. I’ll add a few stumps in the yard and some branches across the back corner for them to roost on and have a spot to get up a bit higher and see the surrounding area. I’d like to dress up the storage cabinet and side of the hen house a bit with some trim to give it a more finished farmhouse style look and am considering adding metal to the cabinet roof so it matches the run and helps the cabinet last a bit longer. And if I get time to get really fancy this might be the season I get a sign made for the coop!
I considered adding a compost area in the yard so the ladies can help break down the materials, but I can’t seem to find a plan that works in the space we have so I’m currently planning to have a compost tumbler behind the green house instead so it’s convenient to dump kitchen scraps the chickens won’t eat and their coop bedding.
I’m hoping to start some of these tasks this weekend if the weather continues to cooperate so stay tuned for an update post!