I recently picked up two great prints from one of my fave Alaskan artists thanks to a promotional sale she was running. But I wanted rustic frames for them. I tried a few from the local stores, but they either didn’t fit the prints the way I wanted or weren’t rustic enough. So I turned to Etsy, where I found several options but again wasn’t sure on the sizing. The Hubs overheard my frustration trying to confirm size and shipping costs, looked at the styles I was considering and then proclaimed, “I can make that.” I quickly said OK! and searched Pinterest for a tutorial. I found this one and made adjustments for the size of our prints.
I somehow forgot to get a picture of the frames before I stained them but I’m sure you can imagine it. Here’s how they looked after the first coat of stain.
I used stain I had on hand from a previous project. While it was pretty it wasn’t quite barnwood enough for me so I decided to add some grey I also had on hand.
And here’s the result! We both love how it turned out. I had a few spots still to touch up, but this was pretty darn close to what I’d been looking at on Etsy. It wasn’t true barn wood, but at an investment of around $13/frame it gave me the look I wanted without extra shipping costs. Plus it was the perfect custom size for what I needed.
And here it is with the print attached. I just taped it to the back using the backing board that came with the print so I didn’t damage the print itself.
It’s the perfect piece to complete this area which I’ve been slowly revamping for quite a while now. And there’s a sneak peek at the other project the Hubs did for me recently! I’ll be sharing that very soon.
The second print is much more colorful and really pops with the rustic tones of the wood. I hung this one in my cubicle at work and have gotten so many compliments on it. It makes me smile every day, both because I love the art and knowing the love that went into the frame surrounding it. 🙂
So if you’re looking for a rustic frame I highly recommend this one. It was simple and easy to do – just 1×2’s, L brackets and some stain. I’d love to see what you come up with if you give it a try!