Sorry for “going dark” recently, but we’ve been traveling the AlCan to Portland and back to visit family and bring home my prized 1955 F-100 pick-up. I’ll be posting about the trip soon, but for now I’ll get you caught up on a few projects I didn’t have time to share before our trip.
The biggest was the installation of our first landscaping, two flowerbeds out front! After waiting weeks for the builder to grade our lot without resolution, the plants that had been sitting on my porch in anticipation were in desperate need of a permanent home. So we purchased top soil, mulch and weed fabric and set to work.
I marked out the shape I wanted with the hose as a guide. Then the hubs helped me till and level the area.
We added a layer of top soil on top of the tilled ground in the area where we planned to plant.
Next, we put down the weed fabric and used some large metal staples that came home in a bucket the hubs found for me as pins.
Then we put a section of pea gravel on top of the fabric along the house so when the rain water runs off the roof it doesn’t pool in the bed. Luckily, the hubs was able to get a free supply of gravel that worked out to be just the right amount for this project!
We also placed large rocks from around the yard along the border.
After that, I laid out the plants to decide exactly where I wanted everything. It took a little rearranging to get everything just right, but it was fun trying out different groupings.
Once I was happy with the layout, I cut holes in the weed fabric to plant each. The hubs filled in mulch around each plant as I moved on to the next plant.
We also did a small bed between the porch and the garage, which included a walkway to the hose spigot on the wall. The pavers were a bargain find on a local buy/sell page for just $2/each, so we picked all we could and have a healthy stash for other projects.
We followed the same process as the larger bed, but included spots for a rain barrel, hose rack and fountain.
The rain barrel and fountain still need some work, but at least they are in place and prepped. Watch for posts about those and the hose holder soon.
The entire process took about two days – much longer than I estimated, but it was well worth the effort and looks great! Although the kids played most of the time we were working, they did take a few breaks for naps on the pea gravel which they apparently found quite comfy.
In retrospect, I probably should have skipped the weed fabric since everything we planted are perennials – hosta, iris, lilies, phlox, dianthus, peony, pincushion flower, lavender and salvia – which will spread with each season, requiring I cut a bigger opening to allow that process. I’ll leave it in place for now and see how it goes. For now, I’m just giddy to have our first plants in the ground.
Now I just need to get the rain garden, lawn and veggie garden going! Let the madness of planting begin!