A Little Update Out Front

FrontFullView

Now that summer is here it was time to get the front porch and flower beds in order.  I started with the porch, which just needed a little cleanup and a few accessories.  A citronella candle and a cute little cast iron frog I’ve had for years were a great fit for the milkcan table by the rocker.

FrontPorchTable

As one of very few shady spots in the yard, the porch was the perfect place for some inpatients.  I used an old ceramic crock that fit in the small spot next to the front door.

FrontPorchImpatients

Since the crock didn’t have any drainage I placed a small disposable pot inside before adding soil.

FrontImpatientPotFill

I did something similar in the large whiskey barrel planters just off the porch.  The hubs drilled a couple drainage holes in both, but I wanted to reduce how much soil it would take to to fill them so I filled the bottoms with plastic containers from our recycle bin.

FrontWhiskeyBarrelFill

FrontWhiskeyBarrelFill2
You’d never know all of that is in there looking at them all planted.

FrontWhiskeyBarrelFinished And they do a great job of attracting butterflies!

FrontButterflyI filled two metal buckets on the steps with dusty miller and lobelia for a little contrast.

FrontBucketI did the same combination for planters in front of the garage, which were used on the porch last season.

FrontSmallPotFinishedI searched for several weeks to find a third green planter to match the ones we already had but could only find a larger version which I placed between the two garage doors.

FrontBigPotFinished

Since it was so large I placed an empty bucket in the bottom to conserve soil once again.

FrontBigPotFill

I also added some pieces of sponge in the top layer of soil to help the plants retain moisture between waterings.

FrontBigPotSpongesI just tucked them down in the soil as I planted.

FrontBigPotSponges2

The perennials in the front beds were the slowest to return this year and I’m convinced that the landscape fabric we used was the reason, so I tore it all out.  While doing so, I found a couple of plants  that did get trapped under the fabric as they started to grow so hopefully now that they’ve been freed they will come in properly.

FrontFlowerbedSmallAnd to finish it all off I added a few patriotic pieces like this garden flag and fun door hanging.

FrontFlagPot
FrontDoorBanner

There’s still a bit I’d like to do out here, but for now it’s ready for summer!

Milk Can Side Table

MIlkcanFInished

This little project has been in the making for some time now. I picked up the milk can on the local buy/sell page. At $50 it was pretty pricey but they are hard to come by and this was the real deal, solid metal in good condition. I needed something sturdy that would stand up to the elements on the front porch.

MilkCanBefore

I wasn’t loving the original red color so I dug through our paint cabinet and found two grey spray paints I could use. The first was a dull grey primer and the other a brilliant metallic finish. I randomly layered them so they would mix well and play off each other. Here was the end result.

MilkCanPaint

MilkCanPainted

I hunted high and low for an unfinished wood table top to complete this project to no avail. I even looked when I was down south on our trip. Amazingly, I finally found one at Lowes for about $13.I found a can of stain in the paint cabinet and gave each side a coat. Then the hubs and I took turns applying coats of poly – also from our paint cabinet – to both sides until we were happy with the color and finish.

MilkCanTop

I planned to screw the top on through the lid of the milk can, but the hubs suggested liquid nails which we had on hand. A couple dollups and a good hard press and it was done.

MIlkcanFInished2

It looks just how I envisioned it would, the perfect unique and rustic side table for less than $65. Just wait till you see what it will accompany on my porch!

Shared at Knick of Time’s Vintage Inspiration Party #203!

Benched

benchI haven’t been having much luck on the local buy/sell pages or Craigslist so I was stunned when I happened upon a post for a wooden bench for $40 and NO ONE had claimed it yet.  I immediately commented that I’d come get it that evening or could send the hubs that afternoon.

Once I commented that gal messaged me and said she had just realized there was a bolt missing on one side so she would reduce the price to $25.  Um, no I don’t have a problem with that!  I texted the hubs the info and let her know that he’d be by soon.

It turned out to be as nice as the photo portrayed it to be, so we’ve placed it on the front porch for the time being.  It does fit there fairly well, although it might be better on a bit of an angle.  I have a sneaking suspicion that once we start getting the yard put together come spring, it might end up elsewhere.  Especially since it would make a wonderful photo prop for clients who want to split their session with indoor and outdoor shots! 😉

Porch

It turns out the missing bolt isn’t too big of a deal.  It is kind of important to make it more stable, but thanks to the return of the snow, we don’t spend a whole lot of time sitting outside.

Bolt

It’s also makes the perfect perch for Luna now that she’s started going outside on her harness when we take the dogs out to play.  She’s not very fond of the cold and wants absolutely noting to do with snow, so she investigates the corners for the porch and then resumes her lofty viewpoint to watch her siblings bound around like crazies in the frozen wilderness.

Luna

And when she’s had enough, she goes to the door and says so! LOL

LunaDoor

She’s used to being on her harness outside at her previous home, so we’ve continued that policy here for now.  Hopefully, she’ll eventually get to a point where she goes out without it, although then she’ll have to have a collar with a bell so she doesn’t get too close to the birdies I plan to entice to our yard this summer!