Yesterday I mentioned making driftwood garlands, like the ones I saw in Homer, but today I’m sharing a similar project I did recently that also has a bit of a nautical flair. This little project has been in the works for years. It started when I picked up a batch of wooden floats used for fishing more than 2 years ago. I only had six and every project I thought up required more so they sat, waiting for more to be found. Then I happened upon these cool vintage metal floats at Junk Bonanza and decided to pair them together but still didn’t have quite enough to complete the project.
I spotted a pair of metal garden bells in a catalog for $20 and knew they’d be perfect at the end of a line of floats. Unfortunately the company wouldn’t ship to Alaska so I had them shipped to my Mother-In-Law and picked them up when we visited earlier this summer. To fill out the rest of the rope I picked up several cork floats from Alaska Picker for a few bucks each.
I used some woven rope I already had in my stash from another project and started with a loop tied with a knot. I fed the floats onto the rope in a set pattern and tucked the loose end of the rope from the knot at the loop into the center of the first float. At the bottom I just made a knot and then tied the rope that came with the bell into the knot, again tucking loose ends into the last float. It was so easy, I did both ropes while watching a movie with the Hubs and it took less than 20 minutes.
The Hubs added hooks we had left over from another project on the front corners of the green house so I could hang the ropes easily and take them down for the season quickly.
Here’s the rope on the other side, where I’ll have a large metal horse trough planter next season. Right now it’s serving as a brooder for the baby chickens we picked up yesterday! Get a peek at them on Instagram or Facebook.
The bell on this side is a little smaller than the other, but has the same style and finish. They don’t get much movement in this spot so they stay pretty quiet, but when they do chime it’s a pretty soft sound that’s soothing and just right for a garden.
I’ve still got several projects to tackle out around the green house before we close up the yard for the winter and I’m already putting together the plan for what we’ll plant and do next year. Until then these float ropes add a little bit of Alaska style whimsy to the garden and make me smile every time I see them. One more project checked off the list. 🙂
Although I’d recently picked up an antique sewing table for a nightstand in the guest room it just wasn’t working there for me, so I continued the hunt for a small dresser. I spotted this sweet little piece on the local buy/sell page and jumped on it quickly. It came with a large mirror that sat on top. It was pretty but not the look I was curating in this space, so I sold the mirror and kept the dresser.
It’s got lots of pretty little details, from the key hole trim to unique handles on the drawers and it’s solid wood so it’s super sturdy.
It’s the perfect size for the spot and the height works well as a nightstand while providing a bit of space for guests to unpack and stash things away if they need.
I plan to eventually refinish it similar to the other nightstand which was originally a sewing table, but it’s not a high priority right now since that’s something that can be done indoors during the cold winter months when we don’t have outdoor projects.
Although I like the current layout of the room because it gives guests room to come in and access the closet, I’m considering swapping the dresser with the smaller nightstand on the other side so the larger dresser is in the corner. I might give it a try after our guests leave and live with it for a bit to see how I feel about it.
I also have a plan for something new above the bed but have to change up another area of the house to pull the materials and I’m not quite ready to do that yet, so it will remain blank for now. Our guests don’t seem to mind as they are more interested in the Alaskan scenery and wildlife than what their room looks like anyway! 🙂
Some time ago, my fruit ‘bowl’ became the hubs’ catch all spot for when he comes home and empties out his pockets. In the meantime I’ve just been using a bowl from our regular dish set, which worked just fine but I knew that wasn’t a permanent solution. So I’d been on the hunt for a simple and inexpensive replacement.
This little milk glass beauty fit the bill perfectly. I picked it up for just $4.50 at a local antique store I just discovered! I kept eying it as I wandered through the aisles and finally decided it spoke to me. There were actually two of the same bowl, but one was marked $10 and the other $6, so I took the cheaper bowl knowing I’d get an extra 25% off thanks to the open house sale they had going on!
Eventually, when the side counter is no longer a tool bench for indoor projects, I may rearrange the hubs’ drop zone and use something different so I can reclaim the original bowl. If and when that happens, I’ll use this one for centerpieces and other decorating. But until then, I think it does a mighty fine job as the counter top fruit bowl!