I promised to provide an update on our indoor herb planter once we got some real plants in it, which proved to a be a bit more difficult than I anticipated. It took a while to find what I was looking for at the various stores in town and then several of the plants didn’t do well so I replaced them. As you can see below that still didn’t keep a few of the plants from failing again.
I think they just weren’t getting enough full or direct sun to thrive. There were a few that seemed to do ok. The bay plant did pretty well and the sweet basil did better than the spicy basil.
After replacing several of the plants 2-3 times I gave up deciding that the location just wasn’t getting enough light for herbs. I moved the remaining viable plants outside on the deck to a raised planter (which you may remember from last season) so they are still nearby for use when cooking or grilling, but stay out of reach of the dogs.
They seem to be doing pretty well out here, and both varieties of oregano have grown since I moved them out here. The basil and bay have stayed about the same, I think just from the shock of transplant.
I’m a little bummed that the indoor option didn’t work out as I was pretty excited about having fresh herbs all year long, but I’ll be sure to preserve some of these so they can be used throughout the winter instead. I’ve already got a new plan for the space in the dining room where the rack was – but I’ll have to wait until after our trip back east this fall to put it together. I’ll be sure to share that once I do. In the meantime I’ve filled the rack with faux succulents left over from another project since all the IKEA plants are now in use in other spots. Find me on Instagram to see how it looks today.