As I celebrate my 31st birthday today I realize just how happy I am to be exactly who I am and where I am at this point in my life. Sure I could loose a pound or two, style my hair a little better, or be slightly more financially stable than I am but overall, I’m doing pretty darn good.
I’m certainly not one of those people who wish I could go back to a specific time in my life. High school was fun, but it wasn’t my favorite years. College was great, but it was a lot of hard work too. The years between college and now brought frustrations with highs and lows, so I’d rather not revisit that either. But right now I stand at the starting line of a wonderful new adventure – personally, professionally, financially and a few other ly’s I can’t seem to think of just now. I love the idea that tomorrow brings new challenges and adventures and wouldn’t trade that for a single day ‘back when’. I’m content with exactly “Who I Am” today, just as Jessica Andrews song describes.
I’ve done a “list of things about me” before and always enjoy reading them later to see how much I’ve grown and changed. And I thought it would be a good way to introduce myself further to those of you who have recently started following my blog. So here’s the current list of things about me you need to know to understand – at least a mostly – how my brain works!
- I can’t function without a cold Dr. Pepper first thing every morning, but NEVER drink coffee.
- I can’t relax unless my environment is clean and organized. Clutter seriously gives me hives.
- I’m a list maker. If it isn’t on the list, it doesn’t get done. I feel super accomplished when I cross things off the list, but quickly re-write the list to keep it tidy and add more things to do!
- I like to drive fast, but often don’t realize that I’m speeding. I blame it on being a racecar driver’s child and having a mile long to-do list.
- Although I primarily listen to country music I have a very eclectic playlist, which ranges from Disney tunes to Prince followed by Elvis and then Linkin Park to Tim McGraw and Taylor Swift.
- I get a warm and fuzzy feeling when I’m saving money. I ALWAYS have coupons with me and often will wait to buy something until it goes on sale, even if I really want it.
- My biggest pet peeve is inefficiency, especially when it’s caused by being disorganized!
- I’m very emotional. Sentimental TV commercials make me teary-eyed and I can spontaneously bust into a full-on bawl when certain songs come on the radio.
- Although I’m very outgoing and creative I’m SUPER critical of myself. I often worry that I’m a Jenna of all trades, but the master of none.
- I’m easily distracted… Oh that’s pretty! What is it? Wait, what’s this?!
- I’m naturally nocturnal. I tend to have my best creative energy in the evening.
- My favorite luxury is sleeping in (usually because of late nights due to #11), although I hate doing it because I feel like I’ve wasted my day when I have so much to do every day.
- I was born blonde and have enjoyed being a brunette in my early 20’s, but I LOVE being a red head now, even though it does require more maintenance. As a child I always wished I’d been born a brunette with green eyes, even though blondes with blue eyes tend to be the typical ‘beauty’ most compare to.
- I love watching the seasons change and truly enjoy each in its turn. Although I do honestly get tired of winter after a month or two – a natural hazard of life in AK.
- I’m envious of women with naturally wavy or curly hair because mine is stick straight and limp.
- If I could change anything about my body it would be to have smaller ears. I was teased about having big ears as a child and it stuck in my brain. That’s probably why I think I look best with my hair down.
- I’m a total lightweight when it comes to drinking. Seriously. Two drinks and I’m DUN! But I don’t drink beer. I prefer rum or sangria.
- I’m a mechanic’s daughter, so I can change a flat and do my own oil changes. I just choose not to because my hubby is super handy too.
- I have issues with corn. They stem from a funny childhood story that is too long to share here, but unless the specific recipe I’m cooking requires it you will never find any variety of corn in my kitchen.
- I’m Lutheran, but believe in all paths to God. At their root most religions all believe the same basic principles they just tell the story differently so I don’t see any as right or wrong, just different. Unfortunately there are fanatics in every religion whose actions contradict everything they say their religion stands for, which is both sad and scary.
- I was in 4H as a teenager and had a horse, goats, market lambs, chickens, ducks and rabbits. Thus I have a high respect for farmers and ranchers and admire their lifestyles.
- While I think dooms-day preppers are crazy, I do think that everyone should be able to be self-sufficient at a moment’s notice without causing major disruption in your daily life. Simple things like growing a garden, knowing how to shut off the water or power and being able to defend yourself are just plain smart.
- I don’t affiliate with any political party; rather I believe we should follow the Constitution and 10 Commandments and decide things on a case-by-case basis when there is a gray area.
- I don’t have that ‘baby’ craving most women do. In fact, I’m not particularly fond of newborns. Rather I like the toddler stage where they start to become their own little person.
- I think adoption is a wonderful thing. Although l feel the urge to mother, I know I wouldn’t do well being pregnant. I decided as a teenager that if I ever decided to have a family I would adopt because there are thousands of children around the world who just want someone to love them and family doesn’t have to mean you’re blood related.
So there you have it. Now you know me, in a nutshell! 🙂