Today I’m sharing a simple upcycle project that took over a year to get just right. It started when I spotted this decorative finial at the thrift store the winter before last. It was only a couple bucks and super heavy. I’d seen similar shaped pieces sell for much more like this one and thought I could create a knock off version with this piece. Here’s the quick before picture I remembered to snap just before the makeover began.
I used some grey spray paint I had on hand to give it a new look. It was definitely an improvement, but I thought it still needed more texture. I put it out on the deck to see if any ideas came to mind, but then got busy with other projects and never did more to it last summer.
This spring, as I prepped items for the yard I decided to give it another makeover while I was white washing some terracotta pots. I gave it a quick dry brush with the same white paint and instantly fell in love with the look it created.
Now it looks like it’s made of concrete, just like the inspiration example! It adds just the right amount of style to this corner of the deck where it compliments the potted plants.
And because it’s so heavy it can stand up to the dogs, so it’s placement here is also strategic. It keeps them from jumping off the deck onto my plants in the flower bed below. Pretty and functional all for a few dollars and a little paint. That’s my kind of makeover!
As I was changing up things on the deck this year I decided to add a serving station. Last year this spot was occupied by the chippy bench we brought back from Portland, but that moved to the new deck this season leaving room for this cute cart I upcycled.
I picked it up on the local buy/sell page for $50 back in the spring. Since it was still too cold outside to work on the yard at that time, I focused my attention on upcycling items for the deck, including this and the milk can planter I shared recently. It was in good shape but I knew the red color wouldn’t work with the other elements we had planned for the deck. I gave it a good cleaning and several coats of spray paint. I went with black because it ties into my modern farmhouse look and it was the one thing I could count on to cover the red. Here’s the before and after in my makeshift paint booth in the garage.
It’s always amazing what a coat – or several in this case – of spray paint can do! It’s the perfect height to fit under the windows and is still narrow enough to not impede the walkway to the chicken coop.
I styled the top with a couple items I had on hand including the outdoor glasses I picked up on our trip this spring and the pottery barn glass pitcher we got as a wedding present. I borrowed the faux plant from the laundry room. Lastly, I added the table top tiki torch for a bit of bug protection.
The lower shelf stayed pretty simple with the metal bird house I found during our spring trip and a little succulent planter I made from an old candle container.
The handle is a perfect spot to drape a dish towel, so I used this IKEA one I had in my stash for projects. And just like that we’re ready for a party on the deck! I plan to put it to use when we have friends over this evening.
I do wish it filled the space here a bit more so next season I may use it elsewhere and build a narrow console table to go here. But for now I’ll enjoy my little upcycle design. 🙂