One of the biggest projects we tackled during May and June was updating our deck with a new Trex top. The pressure treated boards the builder had used to top our deck were already starting to look very worn and since we are building a second new deck on the other end of the house this summer we wanted them both to match. The Hubs researched quite a few materials and decided on Trex both for the ability to be shipped to Alaska in the quantities we needed and it’s reviews.
He started at the outside of the deck, removing the old boards and replacing them with the new Trex, section by section. It was slow going getting the 20′ boards up and making sure all the nails and screws were out so the Trex had a flat surface to attach to.
The dogs were quite intrigued by this process and kept coming outside to check on the progress. That is until we got to the last section next to the house, which made using the doggy door a bit more difficult than usual.
Tequila wasn’t sure what to do when she realized there wasn’t a solid surface outside the door other than the single board we had to pry out from the trim. She kept looking out the door and considering the options.
Eventually she decided to give it a try and gingerly worked her way out onto the ledge before jumping between the deck joists and scurrying under the deck frame to get to the yard.
The Trex boards have the special little fasteners that also act as spacers to keep the deck uniform and allow for a gap for water to drain out. They slide into a little groove on the side of the boards and are then screwed into place on the joists.
Here’s a look at the spacer/fastener from the side so you can see the little track they slide into.
We ran into a bit of a snafu when he got closer to the house and realized the frame of the deck wasn’t square, so the boards weren’t lining up on either side of the deck. Rather than re-do the whole deck we opted to work with the frame as is lining up one side and trimming the boards that hung over too much on the other end to match the others. It worked out pretty good and I doubt anyone will ever even notice the difference unless they are really looking for it. Here’s the finished deck before I added all the potted plants and other yard decor. It looks so great and is a perfect extension of the colors of our floors inside.
The darker color provides a nice backdrop for the new deck rugs I got this season! I’ve got a matching one for the new deck which is under construction right now. I plan to paint the sides of the frame white for contrast once the other deck is done so I can do them at the same time.
I have a plan to reuse some of the old deck boards for another project and the Hubs may use some for a bit of the framing on the new deck so they won’t be going to waste. I’ll share those projects once they are completed. The vision we had for the yard when we moved in 4 years ago is starting to become more and more a reality and I couldn’t be more excited to get it all done and enjoy it!